If You Smell Gas
Residential & Commercial Propane Gas Safety & Services
1. NO FLAMES OR SPARKS! Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire.
2. LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY! Get everyone out of the building or residential area where you suspect gas is leaking.
3. SHUT OFF THE GAS. Turn off the main gas supply valve on your residential or commercial propane tank, if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
4. REPORT THE PROPANE LEAK. From a neighbor’s home or other nearby building away from the gas leak, call your propane retailer right away. If you can’t reach your propane retailer, call 911 or your local fi re department.
5. DO NOT RETURN TO THE BUILDING OR AREA until your propane retailer determines that it is safe to do so.
6. GET YOUR RESIDENTIAL OR COMMERCIAL SYSTEM CHECKED. Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, call your propane retailer.